Wednesday, May 27, 2009

June's pick and Alice Munro

The month is closing fast, and even though I haven't posted in a while (nor have I read the Ballard selection), I would like to embark upon picking the next book. I'll do some figurin' in the next few days, but please make any suggestions you wish. I'm really at a loss, though with summer around the corner perhaps we should do some summer reading. I don't know.

Yesterday Alice Munro has won the Man Booker International Prize, which is awarded every two years to "a living fiction author writing in English, or whose work is widely translated into English." This is only the third time this award has been given (previous winners are Chinua Achebe and Ismail Kildare). It's another major honour for Munro, who is widely acknowledged as one of the world's best writers. Perhaps a Munro pick for our June selection?

Read the CBC article here.

No comments: