Thursday, January 28, 2010

Another Loss to the Literary Family


"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them. They're quite touchy about anything like that, especially my father. They're nice and all - I'm not saying that - but they're also touchy as hell. Besides, I'm not going to tell you my whole goddam autobiography or anything. I'll just tell you about this madman stuff that happened to me around last Christmas"


Catcher in the Rye continues to impact successive generations since its publication in 1951. His only novel touches the human psyche in such a way that each and every teenager in North America, arguably, will remember it for the rest of his or her life. I certainly did. And while it remains a controversy about whether or not is should be taught in high schools, there is no doubt that it will remain a rite of passage for generations to come.

J.D. Salinger passed away today at age 91.

No comments: