Monday, November 24, 2008

Book People

I like to think of myself as a book person, and we, collectively, are book people. But I found a blog from an Austin, TX bookstore called BookPeople. What a great name for a bookstore! Who wouldn't want to go in there? Everyone is a book person. Of course, there is a danger of being the wrong kind of book person, the one who likes an extremely narrow band of authors and shuns anyone on the outside. I guess, then, you don't want to go inside BookPeople. You'd have to study just to find the confidence to go in. On the other hand, we're all book snobs in one way or another, the trick is to find a way to suppress your judgement. Whenever I find myself looking for books for customers, it's a 50-50 chance I'll have to suppress that judgement. I know, I know, it's terrible. Is it so wrong for me to want people to read certain books? You know, Canadian titles, award winners, good writing, etc. On the other hand, it is always encouraging to see readers who love to read or people who are discovering the joys of a new author. I am honestly encouraged by people who love books, even if I might make fun of their choices at a later date. But never to the person's face. So I don't think of myself as the wrong kind of book person - just an avid fan of books and reading with a specific idea of what makes good literature. Anyhoo, now that you're all finished judging me, check out BookPeople.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Nerd alert!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words and the link! We've added you to our list of "Other Nifty Blogs." Thanks again, and stop by soon.

xoxo,

BookPeople