Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Man Booker Prize Announces Shortlist

The Man Booker Prize Shortlist was announced today, cutting the field from 13 to 6. The winner will be announced on October 14th. Though some of these books are not yet released and I've only heard of one of the authors, the Booker prize is nonetheless a prestigious award that launches careers. The 2008 shortlist is as follows:

Aravind Adiga - The White Tiger (Atlantic)
Sebastian Barry - The Secret Scripture (Faber and Faber)
Amitav Ghosh - Sea of Poppies (John Murray)
Linda Grant - The Clothes on Their Backs (Virago)
Philip Hensher - The Northern Clemency (Fourth Estate)
Steve Toltz - A Fraction of the Whole (Hamish Hamilton)

Perhaps we have a candidate for a future DTABC pick? For the complete long list and other Man Booker facts, see the website here.

2 comments:

Hutton said...

I think we should read the winner for our next book... unless somehow William Gibson is a surprise off-ballot winner. . . . because wow Spook Country is a poorly executed novel. I'm 150 pages in and struggling to make the finish line. The rock star (turned) journalist is the only reason I continue to read.

Don't talk about this.

Hutton.

Garry said...

I like the idea of reading the winner. Perhaps for November? I'm just 20 pages in and I haven't thrown up or anything, so I consider myself lucky.